Grafenberg bei Hartberg is situated in the East-Styrian hill lands
about 6km north from the main spot Hartberg and near the
Styrian-Burgenland border. The area around Grafendorf has been
inhabitated since the Neolithic Age, confirmed by several findings.
After the Roman and Slavic occuption the area became part of the
Frankish kingdom through Charlemagne, during the end of the 8th
century. Soon afterwards Eastern Styria was occupied by the
Hungarians, which stopped the colonization until after the
reconquest of Henry III. Grafendorf was first mentioned in 1144, as
being "very famous". In 1158 the monastery Vornbach became landlord
through a donation. It remained like this until the Principal
Decree of the Imperial Deputation in the year 1803, then it became
government property and in 1815 it was sold to an owner of a glass
factory. From 1831 to 1838 the monastery Vorau was the landlord of
Grafendorf, finally it became an independent township.
Alternative: Winter description Further information